Sunday, August 2, 2009

My Beautiful Barn Window



This is "home" in South Dakota. My Great-Great-Grandfather homesteaded this farm in 1874. The Homestead is nearly 140 years old, and the barn has been threatening to fall for many years. In an effort to "save the window" from breaking as the north side of the barn continues to slide off it's foundation, I, with the help of my Mom and Step-Dad, removed it and put it in storage until a time when I would be able to bring it home to Alabama with me.

Who would've thought that a nearly one-hundred year old barn window could be classified as Beautiful! Take a look for yourself! You decide!



I've had this barn window in storage for 5 or 6 years now and this past spring I was finally able to bring it home! Another disadvantage to living 1100 miles away. I had to wait until I had room in my vehicle to bring it home.

When we travel back to South Dakota we always stop in Springfield, MO. The home of Adam's parents. This past spring, I dropped my barn window off with Adam's mom. I asked her if she would use her artistic gifts to paint something on the glass. My idea was maybe some ivy or flowers or something. Who would've thought she would have made it so beautiful.

The most impressive part of this artistic project though...is that when you look at the window...you first see through the glass to see the painting behind it. So, instead of painting the background first and "growing" the scene from the back forward...she painted the front first and painted the layers going backward. Yes, she painted the scene on the "back" side of the window!

I think you'll agree, it turned out BEAUTIFULLY!!! Thank You So Much Lou Anne! You've made an old sentimental barn window even more precious to my heart! Thank you for reaching out, accepting me and loving me, making me a part of your family! I am blessed and privileged to call you my Mother-in-law!

3 comments:

mommyof3andlovinit said...

looks good! where did you put it? is there any significance to the other pics? she did a great job!

Anonymous said...

I put it on the 1/2 wall just inside the front door.

The other 2 paintings were done by my Grandma Swanson. The frame on top was built by my Dad and the frame on the bottom was built by my Grandpa Swanson before he died...obviously. I've had these paintings stored in a box with several others and have never been able to find a way to hang them. I think the whole thing turned out GREAT!

Elliott said...

Hello matee nice post